The Schott Foundation is “Shining a Spotlight on Black Girls” focusing on the barriers facing Black girls in our public schools.
Oftentimes, school pushout conversations center boys of color–I’ll personally admit that I spend a lot of time on this site worrying about my son more than my daughter. However, when using both a race and gender lens can we see — and fix — the unique systemic problems that Black girls must deal with on a daily basis.
Things discovered include:
- Unfair discipline practices.
- Disinvestment from curriculum.
- Lack of supports for girls who face familial responsibilities.
- High rates of exposure to sexual harassment and violence.
- Lack of resources for counseling and addressing trauma.
These are barriers that should — and must — come down. And here at Parenting for Liberation we believe that parents have key role in organizing against these structures both in the home and in the world, so that we win the change needed to ensure that all our children have an opportunity to learn and succeed in both classroom and community.
Click on the thumbnails below to see the full size graphics, along with links to learn more.